Thursday, September 18, 2008

New friends


Tonight I noticed that my hummingbird feeder was empty so I went in and got the sugar water and began to fill it.  While filling it, I heard the unmistakeable "buzzing" of one of my hummingbird friends and I had an idea.  What if I would hold the feeder instead of hanging it up? Would they come and feed or would they be too frightened?
So I held it quietly.  In about a minute I heard one of my friends coming.  It was a little female and she flew quite close to my face, as if she was looking to see if I was friendly or not.  (I seem to have a way with women...birds)  She apparently concluded that I was a friend so she began to drink.  It was just beautiful and it almost made me cry to see that little creation of God, wings fluttering so fast I couldn't see them, drinking away.  I could even see her tongue as she brought her beak out of the little orifice.  She would then fly up to my face (so close I thought she might poke me in the eye).  I think she was just saying "Thank you for being my friend!"  The males, with their ruby throats, stayed away tonight, but I will be back trying tomorrow.  In the meantime, they can drink at my window ledge.  Grandma tried to get a picture, but I don't think you can see it, she is to tiny.  We will try to get a better one tomorrow.

4 comments:

Heidi Lee said...

That is very cool dad. I will have to come over and see if she will be my friend too!

mrc-w said...

What a neat idea! I love hummingbirds :)

Kulio said...

Oh that's so cool, dad!!! Awesome - the children would love to see that!

kool kenna said...

that is amazing!!